11 February 2016

Cooters on a Log: #TBT Political Humor

I was digging around on the 'net and came across a post I'd shared .... back before there was an Internet. I was -10 years old at the time.... 😛

I hope this is something that, no matter your political persuasion or whom you're supporting in this year's insane presidential primary election, we all can get together and have a nice chuckle over. So without further adieus and for your enjoyment, I present to you all a bit of fun from the great State of Louisiana legislative chamber, a

State of Louisiana Legislative Office Building

COLLECTION OF LATEST
LEGISLATIVE OOPS OF THE TONGUE

by: Jack Wardlaw, The Little Man


Drum roll, please!

It's time for the annual Tongue-Slipper Awards, for the best quips, busted metaphors, unintentional misstatements, dangling modifiers and Freudian slips of the just-completed Louisiana Legislative session.  Such as when Rep. Avery Alexander, D-New Orleans, told the House:  "I don't know anyone here that's been killed with a handgun." For starters, here are the winners in the "Truth in Legislative" category:

"I can't believe that we are going to let a majority of the people decide what is best for this state."
Rep. John Travis, D-Jackson

"This amendment does more damage than it does harm."
Rep. Cynthia Willard-Lewis, D-New Orleans

"I think we have passed something that we didn't want to do."
Rep. Chuck McMains, R-Baton Rouge

"Y'all are hurting my tender ears.  I would appreciate it if y'all would scream one at a time."
House Speaker John Alario, D-Westwego

Rep. Wilfred Pierre, D-Lafayette: "The Knights of Peter Claver is a large Catholic organization."
Rep. Juba Diez, D-Gonzales: "I'm a large Catholic, and I don't belong to it."

"I was 15 years old before I ate my first chicken without tire tracks."
Rep. Jay McCallum, D-Farmerville.

The Legislative Staff Award goes to the female staffer who was told that the gill net bill was coming up the next day and confided that she had to go home and coordinate the next day's outfit with her fishnet stockings.

And there's the Senate staffer who asked Sen. Donald Hines, D-Bunkie (a medical doctor), whether he preferred being addressed as "doctor" or "senator."  He responded: "I guess it depends on what kind of a problem you want me to solve."

And finally, the Metaphor of the Year Award goes to Sen. B.B. "Sixty" Rayburn, D-Bogalusa, who -- while describing how it is to run a gauntlet of lobbyists to get to the Senate chamber-- said: "They're lined up like cooters on a log on a sunshiny day."

Just imagine what someone like Rachel Maddow could do with ammunition like this! 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment