04 January 2008

A New Beginning, A New Direction

Well, it's official.

I did it.

I'm so anxious right now that I'm shaking. And I'm about to s**t my pants!

What, what, you're asking, what is it already?

Well, I sent a letter (via email) to the law school that I attended but was unable, due to my depression, to complete my studies. At the time, however, I didn't know that I had depression. Hell, I didn't even know what depression was or even that it existed.

But now, after a few years of therapy, some psychiatric hospitalizations, and the like, I know about depression. In fact, I know quite a bit about depression.

And I have a much better handle on my own depression. I know how it affects me. And I've gotten better at managing it.

I know that I have to remain in treatment. I know that I have to take my medications. And I'm doing my best to do both of these things. I have a treatment team that knows mjy situation and is flexible and willing to work with me.

I know that if this works and I'm accepted back to school I'll have to do so as a first-day student, as none of my prior work will count (ABA rules dictate that when one is out of school for more than one year then one must start their studies over from day one and all prior studies are not to be taken into consideration).

Here's the e-mail that I sent out. Wish me luck!!!!!

4 January, 2008

VIA EMAIL
William D. Perez
Assistant Dean for Admissions & Financial Aid
New York Law School
Office of Admissions and Financial Aid
57 Worth Street
New York, NY 10013

Dear Assistant Dean Perez:

I am a former student of NYLS (attendance dates: Fall 1994-Spring 1997) and was unable to complete my studies due to what I now know was severe and persistent depression. Although considered disabled, I now feel that I am ready and able to once again pursue a legal education and career.

I would very much appreciate an opportunity to meet with a member of your office to discuss the possibility of my return to studies at NYLS.

As such, please provide me (via e-mail) with a few dates/times that would be convenient for your staff to meet with me regarding same. Afternoons would be best for me.

Thank you for your time and kind courtesies.

Sincerely,
-Peter C. Frank

cc: NYLS Offices of Admissions and Financial Aid

1 comment:

  1. Hey, Peter! Kathleen M. from gather (you know, the one with the games). Has the law school responded to your email yet? I wish you luck.

    I know what you're going through with the depression. I have bipolar. They're terible illness.

    ReplyDelete