23 July 2006

Time Warner Cable is the Suxx0r

Time Warner Cable is definitely the Suxx0r.

OK. I'm back online with RoadRunner hi-speed. At first, I ordered AOL Broadband which provided the RoadRunner Intro internet connection at $25.95/month and that operates at 768/128kbps up/downstream, which, after having been accustomed to Cablevision's Optimum Online, which operates at 10mbps downstream and 2mbps upstream. So I basically had to upgrade to RoadRunner Hispeed, which offers a 5mbps downstream and 384kbps upstream. Not quite what Optimum Online offers but it's better than the Intro package.

And, while I was upgrading the Internet connection, I decided to order Time Warner Digital Cable Television service as well. I knew that I wanted digital television, and decided on the DTV Value pack, which offers all digital television channels available. I also ordered Showtime, because I really like their home-grown programming, and there was a deal that if I got HBO with it it came out to a good price so I got that, as well. That's $98.90/month for digital television and Internet (plus the charges for Showtime, and two cable boxes and two remotes). Now, mind you, with Cablevision, I could have gotten digital tv, internet, and telephone service for $29 each or a grand total of $87/month. Already, I'm not liking Time Warner too much.

So then I look on-line and see my statement (which hasn't come in the mail yet), and see that I was charged $19.00 and $9.95 for installation. WTF???? When I signed up for the television service, I checked the web site first, and verified with the telephone rep, that I would be getting free installation.

So I call up good ol' Time Warner Cable and ask to have the installation charges removed, because I was told that I'd be getting free installation. Their response: "Free installation for the first set only, not any additional sets." Again, WTF.

I asked to speak with a supervisor, and got disconnected. So now, I'm sending them this little ditty through their "Contact Us" web form:
Hi,

I just checked my on-line statement, and your billing representative hung up on me and I can't reconnect with your billing department -- I keep getting disconnected. I asked to speak with a supervisor and that's when I was disconnected. I noticed that I was charged $19.00 and $9.95 for installation charges. I was advised (and responded to an advert that stated) that installation was FREE. To me, FREE INSTALLATION MEANS FREE, *NOT* "free for the first set."

Considering that the average American household has more than two television sets (source), this is misleading advertising, and I'd be more than happy to report it to Elliot Spitzer. I'd also be more than happy to cancel my premium services, and refrain from upgrading to roadrunner Premium, which I am contemplating. I pointed this out to your billing representative (who also helped me with a technical problem that I was having with ONE of my cable boxes ever since it was installed, which should help you track it down) and he advised me that installation charges aren't refundable, which is when I asked to speak with a supervisor and got disconnected while on hold.

So, I'd like to know if you are going to refund the approximately $30 in installation charges, or if I should cancel approximately $40 in recurring monthly charges and contact Mr. Spitzer.

Please advise.

Thank you for your time and kind consideration.
[/s/ Peter C. Frank]

Oh, and for the record, their web site doesn't say "free installation on first set only."

Now, if you were a big old corporation, would you decide to refund a one-time charge of $30 to a customer, or lose a potential of approximately $40 in recurring monthly income?

If cable television is ever deregulated, I'm switching to Cablevision in a heartbeat.

5 comments:

  1. I just thought I'd update this situation. I've sent two e-mails, one week apart, to Time Warner Cable (basically I re-sent the first email as the second one), through their web site. I've received two tracking confirmation e-mails. I have not not, however, received a response from either of the e-mails. Time Warner has such great customer service, don't they?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Update #2: Still no word back from Time Warner. I've written them a letter (as in the snail mail kind), and courtesy of their suggestions at on their Questions and Resolutions page, I've copied the NYS Public Service Commission and the NYS Better Business Bureau.

    Time Warner Cable Research Department
    41-61 Kissena Boulevard
    Flushing, New York 11355
    Attn: Research Manager

    Re: Installation charges with free installation, Account #XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    To the Research Manager:
    I write to regarding installation charges that I have been charged for my DTV account. I have complained, over the phone, and via two separate e-mails, about these charges. When I signed up for DTV on the phone, I was assured that I was getting a free installation and that there would be no installation charges, whatsoever.

    Contrary to those assurances, I have been charged approximately $30 in installation fees. While $30 is not a very big amount of money, it’s the principle of the matter that is important to me.

    Additionally, I have not received a response to either of my e-mail inquiries that I sent to you, save for the automated response e-mail that tells me that you have received my e-mail and would be responding within two (2) business days (ref. # XXXXXXXXX was sent on 23 July, 2006 and ref. #XXXXXXXXX was sent on 31 July, 2006). For your convenience, I enclose a copy of the text of the e-mails that I sent to you via your website at http://www.twcnyc.com/index2.cfm?c=cust_sup/cs_contact_us.

    I would appreciate your refunding to me all installation charges, as I would not have ordered the television service had I known that I would be paying any installation charges.

    Thank you for your time and kind cooperation.

    Yours very truly,

    Peter C. Frank

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are dealing with satan! TWC is the worst company I've ever dealt with, and that takes in a lot of territory!
    Quite frankly, they're just stupid. I wouldn't expect any satisfaction from them no matter what tactics you use. They simply don't respond.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I walked in to the Time Warner Cable office and yelled a lot. It helped.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is nothing compared to the crap I'm going through. Glad someone has posted this on the internet. I was promised 3 free installation by an online promotion but the local company has refused to give the free installation saying they don't care what was online, they don't provide such services. I've been online, on the phone and have met with 3 technicians for various problems related to TWC totallingg about 13 hours...what a waste!!! Phone service people hung up on me as well. Because I got suckered into a free router deal that requires 2 months of service I've got a few weeks left then I'm switching to something else.

    ReplyDelete